Oooh, boy. Bit of a rant ahead, so beware.
Yep, you all knew this guy was coming sooner or later. The cash cow of the Nickelodeon franchise. Regardless of how you may feel about him, it's pretty much a given that you'd have to include him in any Nicktoon crossover. However, I think Nickelodeon is taking that a little too far.
Take Nicktoons MLB, for example. Most Nicktoons were lucky to get two representatives, but Spongebob got five. FIVE. And one of them is a character most people don't really give a damn about (I'm looking at you, Larry.) And I've seen the Nicktoons Super Brawl game....they're doing the same crap over there as well, but one of the Spongebob reps is....'Classic Spongebob'. Yes, he appears TWICE in the roster. And no, I don't know why he's wearing a karate gi. What's the point, Nick? You want us to know the franchise exists? Trust us, we KNOW. And we're getting pretty sick of the overexposure now. I mean, how bad is it when the very last Nicktoons Unite game was referred to as 'Spongebob Squarepants and the Nicktoons'?
As such, Spongebob might be the only representative here. If I ever decide to include another character, better believe that's my limit.
Now, don't get me wrong, I don't outright hate Spongebob. I just don't like how Nick is just shoving him in people's faces. It really needs to stop. You've got plenty of great Nicktoons under your belt, and I think it's time they got some love, too.
Character wise, I think Spongebob would be one of those types that spams projectiles EVERYWHERE, but isn't great at close combat. Fits him perfectly, I think.
Nicktoons Unite Gallery #15
From: "Spongebob Squarepants"
First Appearance: "Help Wanted", May 1st, 1999.
Bio: From the ocean depths of Bikini Bottom, Spongebob is the most cheerful sponge you'd ever meet. A spirited fellow, he works as a fry cook down at the Krusty Krab, and is very skilled at his job. Not only that, he's pretty adept at blowing bubbles of all shapes and sizes as well, which comes in handy at times. Though his playful antics may annoy his friends (especially his neighbour, Squidward,) Spongebob is deep down a pretty noble guy. He has helped several of his Nicktoon friends in the past against various threats to his world, and destiny has summoned him to join the Nicktoon heroes once again. His answer to the call? "I'M REEEADY!!"
- Made of highly absorbent sponge, which can reduce damage done by physical attacks
- Nearly indestructible (can be torn apart into pieces without much ill effect)
- Can absorb any liquid and use it as a projectile by ejecting it through his pores
- Proficient with bubbles
- "I'm READY!" (Intro)
- "This one's for you, Patrick!" (Intro)
- "You don't look so tough. I know Ker-rah-tay, after all!" (Intro)
- "Time to bring it around town! Bring it arooooound town!" (Intro)
- "Hi, I'm Spongebob! Who might you be, person who looks like they want to beat me up?" (Intro)
- "Dan, my man. How's it hanging? Been too long." (Intro against Danny Phantom)
- "Timmy!" *laughs* "....did you get taller?" (Intro against Timmy Turner)
- "Thanks for the gear, Jimmy! Now how's about we take this baby for a test run?" (Intro against Jimmy Neutron)
- "My, what a handsome little devil you are!" (Intro against another Spongebob player)
- *gulp* "Good people don't rip each other's arms off. Just so you know." (Intro against Vendetta)
- "Nicktoons, UNITE!" (Intro if team consists of Jenny, Jimmy Neutron, Timmy Turner and/or Danny Phantom)
- "Hey, a superhero! Do you know Mermaid Man, by chance?" (Intro against Really Really Big Man)
- "A musician? I bet Squidward would LOVE to do a duet with you!" (Intro against Ember)
- "If Mermaid Man was here, you'd be in BIG trouble, buddy!" (Intro against Professor Calamitous)
- "Hey, a master of Karate! I bet Sandy would love to meet you!" (Intro against Tai Lung)
- *gasp* "Th-the Flying Dutchman! Please, sir, DON'T TAKE AWAY MY PICKLES!" (Intro against the Flying Dutchman)
- "Plankton! What have you done to Larry?" (Intro against Plankton)
- "Bikini Bottom is counting on me! I'M READY!!" (Intro against Pariah Dark)
- *laugh* (Win Pose)
- "Victory screech! LOOLOOLOOLOOLOOOOO!!!" (Win Pose)
- "Don't be hatin' on the bubbles. After all, they've BLOWN you away!" *laughs* (Win Pose)
- "Now, if only I could breeze through boating school that easily!" (Win Pose)
- "Huh. Who knew that ghosts could get totally soaked like that?" (Win Pose against Danny Phantom)
- "Next time, you should wish to win the match." (Win Pose against Timmy Turner)
- "Jimbo, I always meant to ask. Why does your hair look like a giant scoop of ice cream?" (Win Pose against Jimmy Neutron)
- "You may be one good looking fella, but there's only room for ONE Spongebob round these parts!" (Win Pose against another Spongebob player)
- "Maybe you should get into another line of work, big guy. I'll ask Mr. Krabs if he has a vacancy!" (Win Pose against The Flying Dutchman)
- "For you, I guess that fight just went to the dogs." *laughs* (Win Pose against Dudley)
- "Well now....that was funny. *laughs*" (Win Pose against Doug)
- "Ska-doosh." (Win Pose against Tai Lung)
- "We've kicked your behinds so hard, you're gonna need an iron butt!" (Win Pose if Jimmy, Timmy and/or Danny Phantom is also on your team)
- "Don't ever mess with my friends again, Plankton!" (Win Pose against Plankton)
- "Whew! Boy, was THAT a close one! Time to head back to Bikini Bottom!" (Win Pose against Pariah Dark)
- "I was ready, but I guess you weren't!" (Victory Screen)
- "Did you see that, Gary? I wo- Wait, what? NO, I did NOT win by luck! Where'd you get that idea? (Victory Screen)
- "So, Magic Conch! What do we do next? *pulls string* Go get a Krabby Patty? That's a GREAT idea!" (Victory Screen)
- "Know what's weird? There's this orange splat that sometimes appears in front of me. Freaks me out everytime." (Victory Screen)
- "I'm a Goofy Goober, and I know how to rock!" (Victory Screen against Ember)
- "Wow. You're angrier than Sandy when I told her Texas sucked-wait is that her I see? I, uh...gotta go iron...Gary. SEEYA!" (Victory Screen against Raphael, Azula or Vendetta)
- "I wasn't laughing at you! I was just thinking about Patrick's Ugly Barnacle joke at the time!" (Victory Screen against Korra)
- "Hey, I'm a big fan of the old school! Er.....I'm sorry, but who are you guys again?" (Victory Screen against Ren and Stimpy)
- "I'd give you a Krabby Patty to patch things up, but I don't think Mr. Krabs would like that very much!" (Victory Screen against Plankton)
Oh, by the way. Did you guess the last Nicktoon in my Journal post? Hopefully, you've been a long-time follower of mine, because guessing will be a lot easier.